The Show Must Go On

My director has pulled out of my web series project due to having different creative styles and visions in developing the script. I'm sorry to see him go, because I really felt his directing style would have been perfect for my vision. I'd love to work with him again, I hope there's an opportunity for that in the future.

But the show must go on, so my plan from here is to continue developing the script with my writer, and once we've got more of the script finished (maybe half to three-fourths), then start looking for another director.

My library of books about producing is growing slowly. My newest addition is The Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide: A Business & Legal Sourcebook. This book is written by entertainment lawyers, and the focus of the book is the contracts necessary to production and the legal issues that a producer must be knowledgeable about. It has contract templates to use in the book, however a CD with editable file templates must be purchased separately.

One of the biggest reasons I got this book was because I was unclear about how to set up revenue sharing in my contracts. If I set up that my writer and I share 100% of revenue based on the script, either through sale of the script or other dispensation (and I suspect producing the series ourself falls under "other dispensation"), then how do I legally set it up for other producers/investors to also recieve a share of profit, without turning this into The Producers: ie. This person owns 50% of the show, that person owns 75% of the show, the third person owns 110% of the show -- That's too many percents!

Turns out by today's Hollywood business standards, it's extremely complicated, where each person's share is strictly defined, and one person may never see a penny of the profits due to the way their share has been defined while another is rolling in money because they got a better defenition. I think I will simply opt for the old fashioned way, giving my creative talent a flat percentage of the producer's share.

2 comments:

Laura said...

wow you go girl! this sounds like a huge project i hope you can find another great director

Anonymous said...

Thank you! =)