Having passion for your craft seems to be the theme this week.
First I read this post by my friend Magickat. It's wonderfully optimistic and inspiring!
Then I had a conversation with my sister about how much I loved Neil Patrick Harris in Dr. Horrible... (see previous post)
I was telling her all the little details about how his character in Dr. Horrible was so different from Barney on How I Met Your Mother, and in the middle of my sentence she gives a frustrated, annoyed sigh and asks, "Why are you always so amazed when an actor is able to play different characters? Actors are supposed to be able to do that. As an actor, you should know that."
Her question took me completely by surprise, totally pulled the rug out from under me and I didn't know how to respond. I felt I needed to defend myself and quickly started grabbing at any response I could find. "It's actually very rare for actors to be able to play a wide range of characters, and even those that do are still within a specific type."
She replied, "I can name a whole list of actors who can easily play different types."
Umm... well... yes... but...
She said, "There's no reason for you to get so excited about it. If it were me, I'd be more like, 'Oh, that's great that he's got that skill', but not so much in awe of it."
And that led into a completely separate long-standing issue between my sister and I that I will keep private.
But that's also when I realized it's not so much awe and surprise that I was trying to express to her in my excitement, or in my previous post; It was inspiration and admiration at seeing another actor do what I want to do, and doing it with wonderful skill, creativity and honesty. Harris' performances touched me on a deep level, emotionally and artistically, and *that* was the excitement I was expressing.
Just thinking about it her way made me feel hollow and dead inside, not having the inspiration, not feeling the passion or excitement at seeing another actor skillfully and creatively doing what I want to do. Why bother being an actor at all then?
And that just reinforces for me how important having passion for your craft is.
And then I read this post by Bonnie Gillespie.
There definitely seems to be a theme this week! =)
PS - I love my sister very much, and we've always had the type of relationship with a two-way communication street, even when we don't agree. Please don't bash her for what she said to me, that was not my intent in posting my conversation with her here. I am standing up for myself, and we are discussing the issue as adults, with love and respect.
4 comments:
I completely agree with you. There are many times when I'll see an actor give a wonderful performance that's miles away from past performances and it excites me to no end. Yes that is a part of our job but when someone does it WELL you can't help but admire their work.
I agree completely. I get that bubble in me when I see that too. But it is also accompanied by sadness for the fact that I'm not out there doing it, out there doing everything I can to get there. :)
I am flattered that you were inspired by my entry on my blog. I am always genuinely inspired by your blog all the time so the feeling is mutual. Now onto NPH!!!
Harris is completely artful and I agree that when you see such varied performances from a single actor that it is VERY exciting and thrilling and wondeerful. And unusual. Not all actors can do that. I agree with you... they play to type... and there are a few very true actors that can find different characters with such relish. I mean - I'm not bashing here but Al Pacino - a MARVELOUS actor has his "thing" that he does with every character. As does Marilyn Monroe - one of the most celebrated starlets TO THIS DAY. But when she is in a movie... you ALWAYS see Marilyn. That's why the subtleties that actors like Neil and Johnny Depp and Meryl and the like are SO impressive. Because they go that one step further.
And as an actor watching those subtleties and picking up on them and GETTING where they come from and how much work it takes to get to that place in your performance... well that sometimes brings me to tears because it's so magnificient to see!
As actors, it SHOULD make us that much more excited than the general movie going or television watching or theater attending public.
Love you... kat
Thank you all for your comments! I think we as actors do "get it" on a different level than most non-actors. That's something I thought my sister would have known, which is a big reason why her question/attitude took me so much by surprise.
Post a Comment