Wallpaper

When I was looking through my closet last night to find wardrobe to bring to the set today, I found a really cute brown pinstriped skirt that I bought 4 years ago for the last time I was making a living as a background actor. I'd never worn the skirt then, so I tried it on, and it fits perfectly! That's when I realized between my slacks and stuff, that I actually have a couple of nice business casual outfits already! Yay!
So I left for the set this morning in a good mood, in addition to being happy that I was working today and not sitting around the house again. Plus I was looking forward to watching James Woods work, he's an actor I admire.
When I was listening to the wardrobe details on the recording last night, there were groups of extras that would be changing clothes for a second scene, and another set of groups changing for a third scene after that. I was only in one group, so I figured today would be a short day, which it was. Call time 6:15 am, we were wrapped at 12:30 pm with a meal penalty. (A meal penalty is a "fine" the production company has to pay to each background actor if they don't give you a meal break every 6 hours you're on the set. Usually it's an extra hour's worth of pay.) So that was the good part--short day, a little bit of extra money.
The disappointing part was that my category, LAPD Family Members, were sitting in the audience of an outdoor ceremony, in direct sunlight early morning sunlight, the kind that hits you right in the eyes, while all of the action being filmed took place 500 feet behind us. Didn't get to see Woods work, didn't get to do anything while they were filming except sit there with my eyes closed from the sun (they were filming the backs of our heads). I felt like less than wallpaper today. At least we were only on set for an hour and a half at most. The rest of the time was spent waiting in holding.
I did, however, use my free afternoon wisely, and as much as I wanted to go lay down and take a nap, I stayed awake until I got myself booked for tomorrow. I will be a Race Spectator at the stock car races on Las Vegas! (I tried to get myself booked on How I Met Your Mother, but I guess I'm not the young hip NY type. But once again, HOORAY! At least I got work!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GO BABY GO! Glad you are back into it and woring in your chosen field as much as possible.

There is dignity in being a background actor. I'd rather be an actor doing background work part time THAN to be a actor waitressing part time. At least we are working in our fields, right!