Ok, so I'm finally making the time to write about the workshop I attended last Saturday: An Actor Works.
As I wrote last night, it was amazing. I have a much better understanding now of how all the elements of the business fit together: headshots, auditions, agents, the importance of knowing your type, the importance of mailings to CDs... (I thought I could make progress just by submitting myself on Now Casting or the like.)
All the puzzle pieces are no longer floating around randomly and disconnected in my head. Bob's workshop has helped me put the pieces together to clearly see the whole picture.
And that was just from the first day of the workshop!! I still have the second day to attend!! There is still more to learn!!
"Now hold on a second," you may be thinking to yourself. "If Bob's stuff is so great - and you've been going on about Bob's stuff for years, Isabelle - then why don't you have better results to show for it?"
Several reasons: #1 - As I just wrote above, even though I have all of Bob's e-books, I didn't fully understand how the different elements worked together. As someone who was never really interested in business before, and didn't really have a business brain, I didn't fully understand how to get the ball rolling in the correct way.
#2 - As an HSP, I am wired to enter into new territory slowly and cautiously, to make absolutely sure of my footing before moving forward, and I often need a hand to hold on tightly to in the beginning (until I've found my footing and feel comfortable). I'm the tortoise to all the other actors' hares. And so not being sure how everything worked together, and not really having a hand to hold, I've been wandering around in the shallow end, in ankle deep water, waving at the people on shore: "Look at me, I'm swimming!" (hijole)
And #3 - I haven't actually read any of Bob's books cover to cover yet... ~hides face in shame~ But that's much the same way that I haven't finished reading any of the plethora of other acting books I have, or any of the self-help books I have, or any of the fitness books I have. This is a very very bad habit of mine. I have all the knowledge I need to be completely fit and healthy and height-weight proportionate, I just haven't taken enough action on that knowledge. But I'm getting off topic...
So, those are the reasons that I don't have better results yet to show for the goldmine of Bob's practical, "reality is not optional", sugar-free business advice and guidance. The operative word in that statement being "Yet". I feel ready to wade in a little bit deeper now, I understand much more clearly what I need to do and how to go about it. And there's still another day of learning to look forward to! =D
1 comment:
I am right there with you on the "has all the info but never read it cover to cover." I am so in that club! :)
Post a Comment