Considering Background work again...

Sunday, Feb. 27, 2005 - 11:20 pm
(Original Posting at http://irmabelle.diaryland.com)
I've been searching online for acting classes, I realized the other day that for as long as I've been taking acting classes, they're mostly beginning or easy intermediate classes. That's probably why I feel like there's such a hole in my acting education...None of the classes I've taken have ever discussed or worked on listen and reacting, which is a cornerstone of acting. None of them have talked about being in the moment. And I haven't really learned any specific techniques. I know of a few specific techniques, but I've never actually worked specifically on them or learned how to use them effectively. Time to get more training!
I'm also considering getting back into extra work...I'm earning enough money from massage each month to cover my bills with a little bit left over, but I've only been working approx 11 appointments per month, which leaves me with a LOT of spare time. And I've reconnected with my higher priority goal of acting...
When I was taking massage classes at school, that was my main focus, and I began to make plans around starting my own massage business, and then getting into acting after that. I'd forgotten that my original purpose was for massage to simply be the financial foundation I'd need to support myself while I pursued a career (if only part time) in acting, so that I'd have something to fall back on during the hard times, and I'd have more freedom in the projects I chose, I wouldn't have to take a absolute piece of $#*! acting job just to make ends meet.
So now that I've reconnected with that goal, I'm looking for more acting classes, more intermediate and advanced classes, and considering background (extra) work again.
I looked up the Extra's Casting Guild (which was similar to Central Casting, only better), and they've changed their name to Hollywood Operating System, and gotten even better than they were 2 years ago! I can set my own availability schedule online, change it daily as needed, which I didn't think I'd be able to do. I thought I'd have to pick specific set times that I'd be available to work, to make it easier for the Casting Directors and the booking agent I thought I'd have to get, but with Hollywood OS, you don't need a booking agent, you have all your info & pics in a database that the Casting Directors can search themselves by type, age, etc, and they contact you to book you! Central Casting is just the opposite, you call in, listen to the types they're looking for for the different shows, then you have to try to call in to the Casting Director, the line is usually busy for 10-15 minutes, and when you finally get through, if you're lucky, they take you, if not they've already found everyone they're looking for or your not the type they wanted, and then you have to go back to the listings again and start all over. Which is why a booking agent came in handy, because s/he would do the phone work for you and call you when you were booked on a show.
So Hollywood OS sounds awesome! And the basic listing is free!! The only reason I'm hesitating is because...actually there are several reasons, but I don't know if they're actually real reasons, or simply excuses because I'm afraid again. Blah.
Reason #1: My massage liscencing plans are up in the air, I may be working in an office in a couple of months, and if I'm going to pay the $700 for all the permits, inspections, approvals, etc, I'm going to be working there several days a week every week. So there's not much point in getting into the background work for only a couple of months...but then again, if it's free to sign up for Hollywood OS, why not?
Reason #2: I want to have time to take acting classes. BUT I can't afford any classes right now anyhow, and Hollywood OS allows me to set my own schedule as needed...so why not?
Reason #3: I'm afraid (there it is, the FEAR! blah) that it will wear me out, because frequently I'll need to get up at 5am, do hair & makeup, be on the road by 7am so I can be at the set by 9am, drag my 3 different outfits with me for wardrobe to look at, 8 to 12 hour work day, leave the set at 9pm, get home by 10:30pm. I'm afraid of not managing my schedule effectively, or that I won't have time to take care of myself (ie exercise, eat right, get enough sleep), and that will have a big effect on the quality of the massages I give...But since I'll have total control over my schedule, I'll be able to manage it more effectively, make sure that I set my availability in a way that I do have time to get rest etc, AND just because I schedule myself as available doesn't mean I'll actually be booked on anything. BAH! I worry way to much. I should just do it. There's no reason not to other than lingering unfounded fears...[kicking myself in the butt]

No comments: